Bolton Council Tax Exemption

Find information about council tax exemptions in Bolton

Discover Council Tax Exemptions in Bolton from Bolton Council.

When determining if you are eligible for a discount or exemption, the city council does not take into consideration your income or savings. Council Tax Reduction may also be available to low-income families in order to assist them pay their bills. In order to determine what assistance you are eligible for, the city council must first evaluate your financial and personal situation
Bolton council tax exemptions

Single Person Council Tax Discount

You can get 25 % off your Council Tax bill if you live on your own or you live with other people but they’re all under 18

Student Council Tax Discount

Households where everyone’s a full-time student don’t are compelled to pay Council Tax. In the event you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

To count as a full-time student, your course must last at least one year and involve at least 21 hours study per week

In the event you study for a certification up to A level & you are under 20, your course must last at least three months and involve at least 12 hours study per week.

You will get a Council Tax bill if there is an individual in your household who is not a full-time student, though your household could nonetheless qualify for a discount.

Disabled Persons Discount

You may be able to apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption if you or a person you live with is disabled.

Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

You could be eligible for the scheme in case you live in a larger property than you would need in the event you or an additional occupant were not disabled.

In the event you qualify, your bill will be minimised to the subsequent lowest Council Tax band. I.e., if your property is in Band D, you’ll pay the Band C rate. If your home is already in the lowest band (Band A), you’ll get a 17% discount on your Council Tax bill instead.

You will need to show that you have either an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled individual or extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair

The property must be the major home of at least 1 disabled person. This can be an older or a child – it does not are obliged to be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax.

You could be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill in case you or somebody you live with is severely mentally impaired.

Carer or care worker discount

Care workers are individuals that are employed, ordinarily by a charity or neighborhood council, to provide care. Carers are unpaid.

In several circumstances, we don’t count a live-in carer when adding up the number of men and women in a property. If just you & your carer live within your home, you could be able to get a carer’s discount to reduce your Council Tax bill by 25 percent.

Empty Property and Council Tax

From one April 2013, the exemption classes for unoccupied & unfurnished properties (class C) and properties requiring major repair work to make them habitable (class A) were removed & replaced by a 25 % discount. The Government gave local councils discretion to figure out the levels of discount.

From one April 2014, discounts for unoccupied & unfurnished properties and those requiring major repair work to make them habitable, stopped.

Also from one April 2014, an supplementary Council Tax premium of 50 % was applied to dwellings that were vacant for more than 2 years & substantially unfurnished. These are classed as ‘long term empty’ properties.

Religious community discount

You get money off your council tax bill if all the following are accurate & other criteria are met:

You live in a religious community (the principal occupation of which must be made of prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering or any blend of these)

You’ve no earnings or capital of your own (we will ignore any pension from a former job)
You are dependent on the community for your material requirements.

Person in detention or prison discount

You get money off your Council Tax bill if:

You or somebody you live with is detained in prison, hospital, an immigration centre or a different comparable place and specific other criteria are met and only 1 other individual aged at least 18 lives in the property.

Apprentice discount

In the event you or somebody who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you might be entitled to a 25 % discount off your Council Tax. If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there is a 50 percent discount.

Properties that are exempt from council tax in Bolton

  • Class B – Unoccupied property owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • Class D – Property left empty by a prisoner (no time limit)
  • Class E – Property left empty by a person receiving personal care in a hospital or care home (no time limit)
  • Class F – Left empty following the death of a taxpayer
  • Class G – Occupation is prohibited by law
  • Class H – Empty and awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
  • Class I – Left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care from another person
  • Class J – Left empty by someone who has moved to provide personal care to another person
  • Class K – Property left empty by a student
  • Class L – Property repossessed by the mortgagee
  • Class M – Halls of residence
  • Class N – Properties occupied by students or school leavers
  • Class O – Armed Forces accommodation such as barracks
  • Class P – Properties occupied by members of visiting forces
  • Class Q – Property left empty by bankrupts
  • Class R – Unoccupied caravan pitches and houseboat moorings
  • Class S – Properties occupied by persons under 18
  • Class T – Unoccupied annexes which form part of a single property and may not be let separately without a breach of planning consent
  • Class U – Properties occupied by persons who are severely mentally impaired
  • Class V – Property where at least one person who would otherwise be liable is a diplomat
  • Class W – Annexes and similar accommodation occupied by an elderly or disabled relative

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over.

A full Council Tax bill is dependent on at least 2 grown-ups living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *