Dover Council Tax Exemption

Find information about council tax exemptions in Dover

Find information on Council Tax Exemptions in Dover from Dover Council.

When determining if you are eligible for a discount or exemption, the city council does not take into consideration your income or savings. Council Tax Reduction may also be available to low-income families in order to assist them pay their bills. In order to determine what assistance you are eligible for, the city council must first evaluate your financial and personal situation
Dover council tax exemptions

Single Person Council Tax Discount

You can get 25 % off your Council Tax bill if you live on your own or you live with other folks nonetheless they are all under 18

Student Council Tax Discount

Households where everyone’s a full-time student don’t need to pay Council Tax. In case you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

To count as a full-time student, your course must last at least 1 year and involve at least 21 hours study per week

If you study for a qualification up to A level and you’re under 20, your course must last at least 3 months & involve at least 12 hours study per week.

You will get a Council Tax bill if there’s an individual within your household who is not a full-time student, yet your household could still qualify for a discount.

Disabled Persons Discount

You might be in a position to apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption should you or someone you live with is disabled.

Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

You might be eligible for the scheme should you live in a bigger property than you would want in the event you or a further occupant were not disabled.

If you qualify, your bill will be minimised to the subsequent lowest Council Tax band. For example, if your property is in Band D, you’ll pay the Band C rate. If your home is already in the lowest band (Band A), you will get a 17% discount on your Council Tax bill instead.

You will must show that you have either an additional bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person or additional space inside the property for using a wheelchair

The property must be the principal home of at least 1 disabled person. This can be an older or a child – it does not are compelled to be the individual responsible for paying the Council Tax.

You could be in a position to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill if you or a person you live with is severely mentally impaired.

Carer or care worker discount

Care workers are individuals that are employed, usually by a charity or local council, to provide care. Carers are unpaid.

In quite a few circumstances, we do not count a live-in carer when adding up the number of individuals in a property. If just you & your carer live within your home, you could be able to get a carer’s discount to lessen your Council Tax bill by 25 %.

Empty Property and Council Tax

From 1 April 2013, the exemption classes for unoccupied & unfurnished properties (class C) and properties requiring significant repair work to make them habitable (class A) were removed and replaced by a 25 percent discount. The Government gave neighborhood councils discretion to figure out the levels of discount.

From 1 April 2014, discounts for unoccupied and unfurnished properties and those requiring major repair work to make them habitable, stopped.

Also from 1 April 2014, an supplementary Council Tax premium of 50 percent was applied to dwellings that were vacant for more than 2 years and substantially unfurnished. These are classed as ‘long term empty’ properties.

Religious community discount

You get income off your council tax bill if all of the following are accurate & other criteria are met:

You live in a religious community (the principal occupation of which must be comprised of prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering or any mixture of these)

You have no revenue or capital of your own (we will ignore any pension from a former work)
You are dependent on the community for your material wants.

Person in detention or prison discount

You get money off your Council Tax bill if:

You or somebody you live with is detained in prison, hospital, an immigration centre or a different comparable place and particular other criteria are met & only one other individual aged at least 18 lives in the property.

Apprentice discount

In the event you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you might be entitled to a 25 % discount off your Council Tax. If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there is a 50 % discount.

Properties that are exempt from council tax in Dover

  • Class B – Unoccupied property owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • Class D – Property left empty by a prisoner (no time limit)
  • Class E – Property left empty by a person receiving personal care in a hospital or care home (no time limit)
  • Class F – Left empty following the death of a taxpayer
  • Class G – Occupation is prohibited by law
  • Class H – Empty and awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
  • Class I – Left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care from another person
  • Class J – Left empty by someone who has moved to provide personal care to another person
  • Class K – Property left empty by a student
  • Class L – Property repossessed by the mortgagee
  • Class M – Halls of residence
  • Class N – Properties occupied by students or school leavers
  • Class O – Armed Forces accommodation such as barracks
  • Class P – Properties occupied by members of visiting forces
  • Class Q – Property left empty by bankrupts
  • Class R – Unoccupied caravan pitches and houseboat moorings
  • Class S – Properties occupied by persons under 18
  • Class T – Unoccupied annexes which form part of a single property and may not be let separately without a breach of planning consent
  • Class U – Properties occupied by persons who are severely mentally impaired
  • Class V – Property where at least one person who would otherwise be liable is a diplomat
  • Class W – Annexes and similar accommodation occupied by an elderly or disabled relative

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over.

A full Council Tax bill is dependant on at least two adults living in a home. Spouses & partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *