Scottish Borders Council Tax Exemption

Find information about council tax exemptions in Scottish Borders

Find information on Council Tax Exemptions in Scottish Borders from Scottish Borders Council.

When determining if you are eligible for a discount or exemption, the city council does not take into consideration your income or savings. Council Tax Reduction may also be available to low-income families in order to assist them pay their bills. In order to determine what assistance you are eligible for, the city council must first evaluate your financial and personal situation
Scottish Borders council tax exemptions

Single Person Council Tax Discount

You can get 25 % off your Council Tax bill in the event you live on your own or you live with other individuals although they are all under 18

Student Council Tax Discount

Households where everyone’s a full-time student do not need to pay Council Tax. In the event you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

To count as a full-time student, your course must last at least one year & involve at least 21 hours study per week

Should you study for a certification up to A level and you’re below 20, your course must last at least 3 months & involve at least 12 hours study per week.

You’ll get a Council Tax bill if there is a person within your household who is not a full-time student, although your household might still qualify for a discount.

Disabled Persons Discount

You may be in a position to apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption should you or somebody you live with is disabled.

Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

You may be eligible for the scheme in case you live in a bigger property than you would want in the event you or a further occupant were not disabled.

Should you qualify, your bill will be lowered to the next lowest Council Tax band. For example, if your property is in Band D, you will pay the Band C rate. If your home is already in the lowest band (Band A), you’ll get a 17% discount on your Council Tax bill instead.

You will must show that you’ve either an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person or additional space inside the property for working with a wheelchair

The property must be the major home of at least 1 disabled individual. This can be an adult or a child – it will not are compelled to be the individual responsible for paying the Council Tax.

You may be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill in case you or someone you live with is severely mentally impaired.

Carer or care worker discount

Care workers are people that are employed, more often than not by a charity or neighborhood council, to supply care. Carers are unpaid.

In a number of circumstances, we do not count a live-in carer when adding up the number of folks in a property. If just you and your carer live within your home, you could be able to get a carer’s discount to lessen your Council Tax bill by 25 %.

Empty Property and Council Tax

From one April 2013, the exemption classes for unoccupied & unfurnished properties (class C) and properties requiring significant repair work to make them habitable (class A) were removed & replaced by a 25 percent discount. The Government gave neighborhood councils discretion to establish the levels of discount.

From one April 2014, discounts for unoccupied & unfurnished properties and those requiring significant repair work to make them habitable, stopped.

Also from 1 April 2014, an other Council Tax premium of 50 percent was applied to dwellings that were vacant for more than two years and substantially unfurnished. These are classed as ‘long term empty’ properties.

Religious community discount

You get income off your council tax bill if all the following are correct & other criteria are met:

You live in a religious community (the principal occupation of which must be composed of prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering or any blend of these)

You’ve no income or capital of your own (we will ignore any pension from a former job)
You’re dependent on the community for your material wants.

Person in detention or prison discount

You get revenue off your Council Tax bill if:

You or somebody you live with is detained in prison, hospital, an immigration centre or one other comparable place & particular other criteria are met & only 1 other individual aged at least 18 lives in the property.

Apprentice discount

In the event you or somebody who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you might be entitled to a 25 % discount off your Council Tax. If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there’s a 50 % discount.

Properties that are exempt from council tax in Scottish Borders

  • Class B – Unoccupied property owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • Class D – Property left empty by a prisoner (no time limit)
  • Class E – Property left empty by a person receiving personal care in a hospital or care home (no time limit)
  • Class F – Left empty following the death of a taxpayer
  • Class G – Occupation is prohibited by law
  • Class H – Empty and awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
  • Class I – Left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care from another person
  • Class J – Left empty by someone who has moved to provide personal care to another person
  • Class K – Property left empty by a student
  • Class L – Property repossessed by the mortgagee
  • Class M – Halls of residence
  • Class N – Properties occupied by students or school leavers
  • Class O – Armed Forces accommodation such as barracks
  • Class P – Properties occupied by members of visiting forces
  • Class Q – Property left empty by bankrupts
  • Class R – Unoccupied caravan pitches and houseboat moorings
  • Class S – Properties occupied by persons under 18
  • Class T – Unoccupied annexes which form part of a single property and may not be let separately without a breach of planning consent
  • Class U – Properties occupied by persons who are severely mentally impaired
  • Class V – Property where at least one person who would otherwise be liable is a diplomat
  • Class W – Annexes and similar accommodation occupied by an elderly or disabled relative

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over.

A full Council Tax bill is subject to at least two grown-ups living in a home. Spouses & partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *