South Lanarkshire Council Tax Exemption

Find information about council tax exemptions in South Lanarkshire

Discover Council Tax Exemptions in South Lanarkshire from South Lanarkshire Council.

When determining if you are eligible for a discount or exemption, the city council does not take into consideration your income or savings. Council Tax Reduction may also be available to low-income families in order to assist them pay their bills. In order to determine what assistance you are eligible for, the city council must first evaluate your financial and personal situation
South Lanarkshire council tax exemptions

Single Person Council Tax Discount

You can get 25 percent off your Council Tax bill in the event you live on your own or you live with other folks nonetheless they’re all below 18

Student Council Tax Discount

Households where everyone’s a full-time student don’t need to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

To count as a full-time student, your course must last at least 1 year & involve at least 21 hours study per week

In case you study for a certification up to A level and you’re below 20, your course must last at least 3 months and involve at least 12 hours study per week.

You’ll get a Council Tax bill if there is somebody inside your household who is not a full-time student, but your household could nonetheless qualify for a discount.

Disabled Persons Discount

You might be able to apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption in case you or a person you live with is disabled.

Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

You might be eligible for the scheme should you live in a larger property than you would need should you or a different occupant were not disabled.

If you qualify, your bill will be decreased to the next lowest Council Tax band. E.g., if your property is in Band D, you will pay the Band C rate. If your home is already in the lowest band (Band A), you’ll get a 17% discount on your Council Tax bill instead.

You’ll are compelled to show that you’ve either an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled individual or additional space inside the property for working with a wheelchair

The property must be the principal home of at least one disabled individual. This can be an older or a child – it does not need to be the individual responsible for paying the Council Tax.

You might be in a position to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill in case you or somebody you live with is severely mentally impaired.

Carer or care worker discount

Care workers are people who are employed, normally by a charity or nearby council, to provide care. Carers are unpaid.

In a lot of circumstances, we don’t count a live-in carer when adding up the quantity of people in a property. If just you and your carer live inside your home, you might be able to get a carer’s discount to lessen your Council Tax bill by 25 %.

Empty Property and Council Tax

From 1 April 2013, the exemption classes for unoccupied & unfurnished properties (class C) and properties requiring significant repair work to make them habitable (class A) were removed & replaced by a 25 % discount. The Government gave local councils discretion to establish the levels of discount.

From 1 April 2014, discounts for unoccupied & unfurnished properties & those requiring significant repair work to make them habitable, stopped.

Also from one April 2014, an more Council Tax premium of 50 % was applied to dwellings that were vacant for more than 2 years and substantially unfurnished. These are classed as ‘long term empty’ properties.

Religious community discount

You get income off your council tax bill if all of the following are true & other criteria are met:

You live in a religious community (the principal occupation of which must consist of prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering or any combination of these)

You’ve no revenue or capital of your own (we will ignore any pension from a former job)
You are dependent on the community for your material demands.

Person in detention or prison discount

You get revenue off your Council Tax bill if:

You or somebody you live with is detained in prison, hospital, an immigration centre or an additional comparable place and particular other criteria are met & only 1 other individual aged at least 18 lives in the property.

Apprentice discount

In the event you or somebody who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you could be entitled to a 25 % discount off your Council Tax. If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there’s a 50 percent discount.

Properties that are exempt from council tax in South Lanarkshire

  • Class B – Unoccupied property owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • Class D – Property left empty by a prisoner (no time limit)
  • Class E – Property left empty by a person receiving personal care in a hospital or care home (no time limit)
  • Class F – Left empty following the death of a taxpayer
  • Class G – Occupation is prohibited by law
  • Class H – Empty and awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
  • Class I – Left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care from another person
  • Class J – Left empty by someone who has moved to provide personal care to another person
  • Class K – Property left empty by a student
  • Class L – Property repossessed by the mortgagee
  • Class M – Halls of residence
  • Class N – Properties occupied by students or school leavers
  • Class O – Armed Forces accommodation such as barracks
  • Class P – Properties occupied by members of visiting forces
  • Class Q – Property left empty by bankrupts
  • Class R – Unoccupied caravan pitches and houseboat moorings
  • Class S – Properties occupied by persons under 18
  • Class T – Unoccupied annexes which form part of a single property and may not be let separately without a breach of planning consent
  • Class U – Properties occupied by persons who are severely mentally impaired
  • Class V – Property where at least one person who would otherwise be liable is a diplomat
  • Class W – Annexes and similar accommodation occupied by an elderly or disabled relative

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over.

A full Council Tax bill is subject to at least two adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *