West Oxfordshire Council Tax Exemption

Find information about council tax exemptions in West Oxfordshire

Find information on Council Tax Exemptions in West Oxfordshire from West Oxfordshire Council.

When determining if you are eligible for a discount or exemption, the city council does not take into consideration your income or savings. Council Tax Reduction may also be available to low-income families in order to assist them pay their bills. In order to determine what assistance you are eligible for, the city council must first evaluate your financial and personal situation
West Oxfordshire council tax exemptions

Single Person Council Tax Discount

You can get 25 percent off your Council Tax bill in case you live on your own or you live with other men and women though they’re all below 18

Student Council Tax Discount

Households where everyone’s a full-time student don’t need to pay Council Tax. In case you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

To count as a full-time student, your course must last at least one year & involve at least 21 hours study per week

Should you study for a certification up to A level and you are under 20, your course must last at least three months and involve at least 12 hours study per week.

You’ll get a Council Tax bill if there is an individual within your household who’s not a full-time student, yet your household may still qualify for a discount.

Disabled Persons Discount

You could be in a position to apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption should you or somebody you live with is disabled.

Disabled Band Reduction Scheme

You may be eligible for the scheme should you live in a bigger property than you would want should you or an additional occupant were not disabled.

If you qualify, your bill will be decreased to the subsequent lowest Council Tax band. For example, if your property is in Band D, you will pay the Band C rate. If your home is already in the lowest band (Band A), you’ll get a 17% discount on your Council Tax bill instead.

You’ll have to show that you have either an additional bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled individual or additional space inside the property for using a wheelchair

The property must be the major home of at least 1 disabled person. This can be an older or a kid – it will not must be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax.

You could be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill if you or an individual you live with is severely mentally impaired.

Carer or care worker discount

Care workers are individuals that are employed, frequently by a charity or nearby council, to provide care. Carers are unpaid.

In many circumstances, we don’t count a live-in carer when adding up the quantity of folks in a property. If just you and your carer live in your home, you could be in a position to get a carer’s discount to decrease your Council Tax bill by 25 percent.

Empty Property and Council Tax

From one April 2013, the exemption classes for unoccupied & unfurnished properties (class C) and properties requiring major repair work to make them habitable (class A) were removed and replaced by a 25 percent discount. The Government gave local councils discretion to decide the levels of discount.

From 1 April 2014, discounts for unoccupied & unfurnished properties and those requiring significant repair work to make them habitable, stopped.

Also from 1 April 2014, an more Council Tax premium of 50 % was applied to dwellings that were vacant for more than 2 years and substantially unfurnished. These are classed as ‘long term empty’ properties.

Religious community discount

You get revenue off your council tax bill if all of the following are true and other criteria are met:

You live in a religious community (the principal occupation of which must be comprised of prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering or any blend of these)

You have no revenue or capital of your own (we will ignore any pension from a former work)
You are dependent on the community for your material wants.

Person in detention or prison discount

You get money off your Council Tax bill if:

You or somebody you live with is detained in prison, hospital, an immigration centre or one more comparable place & certain other criteria are met & only 1 other individual aged at least 18 lives in the property.

Apprentice discount

In the event you or an individual who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you may be entitled to a 25 % discount off your Council Tax. If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there’s a 50 % discount.

Properties that are exempt from council tax in West Oxfordshire

  • Class B – Unoccupied property owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • Class D – Property left empty by a prisoner (no time limit)
  • Class E – Property left empty by a person receiving personal care in a hospital or care home (no time limit)
  • Class F – Left empty following the death of a taxpayer
  • Class G – Occupation is prohibited by law
  • Class H – Empty and awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
  • Class I – Left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care from another person
  • Class J – Left empty by someone who has moved to provide personal care to another person
  • Class K – Property left empty by a student
  • Class L – Property repossessed by the mortgagee
  • Class M – Halls of residence
  • Class N – Properties occupied by students or school leavers
  • Class O – Armed Forces accommodation such as barracks
  • Class P – Properties occupied by members of visiting forces
  • Class Q – Property left empty by bankrupts
  • Class R – Unoccupied caravan pitches and houseboat moorings
  • Class S – Properties occupied by persons under 18
  • Class T – Unoccupied annexes which form part of a single property and may not be let separately without a breach of planning consent
  • Class U – Properties occupied by persons who are severely mentally impaired
  • Class V – Property where at least one person who would otherwise be liable is a diplomat
  • Class W – Annexes and similar accommodation occupied by an elderly or disabled relative

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over.

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two grown-ups living in a home. Spouses & partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *